Thursday, 7th February 2019
LGBT History Month falls on February across the UK each year, with hundreds of events that have been organised across the country to raise awareness and visibility of LGB&T communities.
As the rainbow flags fly proudly across Leicester and Leicestershire (Leicester Town Hall, Leicester City Council, Loughborough Town Hall), LGBT History Months gives everybody time to reflect on the progress of LGBT rights in the country as well as highlight the work that still needs to be done to ensure the representation of all LGB&T people across a variety of intersectional identities. As the recent news of Manchester Pride including the brown and black stripes on their rainbow flag to raise awareness of the struggles of LGB&T people of colour has shown, even within the community, racism rears its ugly head.
Moving forward, and in an area as diverse as Leicestershire and Leicestershire, we also agree that there is more work to be done to represent the richness and diversity of the local LGB&T communities, and at Trade, our services are open to all within the communities, and you are always guaranteed to be greeted by someone with acceptance, respect and a smile.
De Montfort University in Leicester are hosting a range of events across February as part of their #DMUpride festival. You can see the full line up of events here. Some of our highlights include:
- The queer history of the Eurovision Song Contest (12 February, 6:00-7:00pm, FREE)
- Rethinking identity - performing portraits, a practical explorative workshop (13 February, 1:00-3:00pm, FREE)
- Chemsex among gay men (18 February, 6:00-8:30pm, FREE)
- Curve Theatre and DMU present: Rubber Ring (18 February, 7:00pm, from £7)
- 'Greater Love' - the poems of Wilfred Owen (19 February, 7:00pm, FREE)
- Curve Theatre and DMU present: Drip (20 February, 8:00pm, from £8)
- Pride in action - supporting refugees and asylum seekers (21 February, 6:30-8:30pm, FREE)
- #DMUpride at Phoenix: Happy Prince (21 February, 6:00pm, from £6)
- Cultural Exchanges Festival presents: Munroe Bergdorf 'In Conversation' (27 February, 7:00-8:00pm, from £2)
- #DMUpride, Cultural Exchanges and LCB Depot present: Soofiya, Hairy Femmes Forever (28 February, 6:30-7:30pm, FREE)
- Cultural Exchanges Festival presents: South Asian Arts and the LGBTQ Community (1 March, 3:00-4:00pm, FREE)
University of Leicester
The University of Leicester also have a whole host of events on and around their campus, as well as some events in partnership with Leicester LGBT Centre. You can see the full line up of events here. Some of our highlights include:
- Jessica Lynn: The Butterfly Project 2018/19 World Tour (7 February, 6:30-8:30pm, booking required, FREE)
- What The Hell is Non-Binary (11 February, 12:00-3:00pm, FREE)
- LGBT+ Personal Histories Panel (12 February, 5:00-8:00pm, booking required, FREE)
- Film screening: Miseducation of Cameron Post (13 February, 7:00pm, FREE)
- Games night @ Firebug (18 February, 7:00pm)
- Quiz night @ Firebug (27 February, 7:30pm)